Wednesday, April 4, 2018

New Kayaks

April 4

Both of us have been looking at Hobie Mirage Kayaks for some time.  These are kayaks that you can sail, peddle, or paddle (and add electric motors to if you want to).

When we moved to Hollywood (front row), there was a small Hobie Sport kayak sitting across from us.  It had been sitting there for weeks and no one was using it, nor did it seem to have an owner.  So we talked to the Camp Host and decided to move it over to our site.  It sat there a day or so and finally a guy (Joel Walton) came by and said it was his.  We explained that we had moved it (at the host suggestion because nothing is supposed to be left on the grounds) and he thanked us.  Clara suggested that we were interested in buying it if he was interested selling.  He was and we did ($600).

Clara immediately took it out and loved it.

I tried sailing it (it came with a sail), but almost immediately flipped it (no outriggers)

So, now I want a new kayak.

I found a dealer and started looking at one for me.  The dealer (Sunset Water Sports - Rich Welter owner) is the largest water sports rental company in Key West.  Initially, I thought I wanted a small kayak like Clara's Sport, but Rich convinced me I needed a bigger one - the Revolution 13.  So after some research, I decided to buy one that he had in stock.  He offered it at dealer costs ($650 off retail) of $1899.  Additionally, I could order all extras at dealer costs.

The Sport came with a sail and the sail is universal for all Hobie Kayaks.  So I've transferred the sail to mine. And I bought outriggers!

And I'm loving it.







Both kayaks out together








Sailing after sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment